Taking on this role improves confidence and impromptu speaking skills. Table Topics is a long-standing Toastmasters tradition intended to help members and guests develop their ability to organize their thoughts quickly and respond to an impromptu question or topic.
Practice Impromptu Speaking
- Practice makes perfect:
- Every conversation is like a Table Topics question or prompt.
- Develop your ability to organize thoughts quickly by treating day-to-day conversations like Table Topics.
- Learn from the very best:
- At Tragicomedy Toastmasters, Table Topics are often improv games in the style of Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Watch that TV show to steal ideas.
- Other great resources are available at the Toastmasters International store:
- Check out Om Telang’s presentation on how to be a good Table Topics Participant:
Partipate in Table Topics
- During the Table Topics portion of the meeting, the Table Topicsmaster may call on you to participate:
- In 1-2 minutes, respond/answer to the prompt/question while incorporating both the Toastmaster’s Theme and the Grammarian/Ah-Counter’s Word of the Day.
- Turn off your brain and just speak, continually building on your response/answer to the initial prompt/question and going down that rabbit hole.
- Remember: If you get stumped, it is totally okay to either ask for another prompt/question or say something that is only peripherally related—the only hard-and-fast rules are to relax and have fun!