Mr. Milton College Scholars provide all members and guests with the confidence and communication skills to flourish in Tragicomedy Toastmasters. They pave the way for stronger presentations at every weekly club meeting while leading productive monthly senior officers meetings and extended officers meetings. In everything they do, they epitomize the mottos of Toastmasters International “Where Leaders Are Made” and Tragicomedy Toastmasters “Where Tragedy Meets Comedy.”
Immediate Past President: Alondra Sánchez, EH5, CC, CL
- Education is paramount at Tragicomedy Toastmasters.
- Most of our members have a minimum of a college education, with several pursuing master’s and doctoral degrees.
- Our club highly values the rigors of both formal education and self-education, regardless of whether you enroll in an Ivy League or the School of Hard Knocks.
- In our support of education, we welcome college student members to apply for the Mr. Milton College Scholarship. Each year, the top two applicants are awarded an all-expenses-paid annual membership ($155 in full, not prorated), which covers the cost of international dues, club dues, and one Pathways path (that path with be either automatically included for new Toastmasters members or can be manually added for current/former Toastmasters members).
- To be eligible, the college student must be in good academic standing, with verification of enrollment status through a student ID, an acceptance letter, a transcript, or school web directory.
- The college student must also agree to complete a full Pathways path (all five levels) within a year and serve for a full annual term as a senior officer (President, Vice President of Education, Vice President of Membership, Vice President of Public Relations, or Immediate Past President).
- Last, the applicant must include a one-page personal statement (double-spaced, one-inch margins, 12-point font, and no typos). The personal statement should clearly delineate a one-year timeline for how the prospective scholar will contribute to the success of Tragicomedy Toastmasters through their desired Pathways path and senior officer role.
- Up to two applicants will be accepted if they meet the above requirements. Only top college student members need apply.
- Annual Application Deadline: June 30th. Please ask any questions and/or submit your application materials by that deadline to the Mr. Milton College Scholarship Committee at email@example.com:
- Fully completed Toastmasters membership application (required each year for both first-time scholars and renewing scholars)
- Proof of student status (e.g., a student ID, an acceptance letter, a transcript, a school web directory link, etc.)
- One-page personal statement (double-spaced, one-inch margins, 12-point font, and no typos)
- Decision letters should be sent shortly after the application deadline.
- If accepted as a Mr. Milton College Scholar, you will be honored in the following ways:
- Award ceremony at Tragicomedy Toastmasters meeting
- Mr. Milton College Scholar certificate
- $155 award
- Name and photo added to top of this page
- You will then complete all the requirements of your scholarship (completing a Pathways path and serving as a senior officer) to the best of your ability, or your scholarship could be rescinded.
- No club funds are used for this scholarship award.
- The $155 award is conferred entirely by Jay Karthik, DTM. The Mr. Milton College Scholarship is the namesake of Jay’s speech, “Mr. Milton Defies Murphy’s Law.”